Re: Year 11 Chromebook Scheme
I am delighted to be able to inform you that we are now in a position to be able to distribute a Chromebook to every Year 11 student at The Leigh Academy. The device will remain the property of The Leigh Academy but will be given to your son/daughter to use throughout the remainder of their time with us in Year 11 (and must be returned in July 2021). We believe that having the use of a Chromebook in the academy and being able to take the device home will be invaluable in supporting your son/daughter in their studies this year.
It will mean that he/she can access all classwork and homework no matter where they are and have full access to the Google Classrooms and all other online resources. There is no cost to you the parent, but here are some points that I would ask that you read with your son/daughter and take into consideration:
- Students will be expected to bring the Chromebook to the academy each day fully charged for use in lessons.
- Students will ensure their best endeavours to look after the device and not accessorise or otherwise alter the appearance of the Chromebook in any way.
- Students will be able to continue with online work from home in the case of any periods of absence from the academy.
- Students should only use the Chromebooks in classes for class activities as directed by a teacher and for no other purpose.
- Any and all damage to the Chromebook must be reported on the day of or next academy day.
- The Chromebook is fully insured BUT you will be asked to pay £25.00 excess via ParentPay each time the insurance policy is activated e.g. for damage or loss.
- A charger lead will be provided with the Chromebook however this is not covered by the insurance policy so must remain at home. If the charger lead was to become lost or broken it will be necessary for you to purchase a replacement.
- We strongly recommend that you purchase a Chromebook cover/case to protect the device and also ensure your child has a school bag big enough to carry the Chromebook and all the usual school equipment to and from the academy each day.
- Parent/Carer to read the documentation in the links provided.
- Parent/Carer will be asked to sign the agreement. click here to view this agreement. You do not need to print this – a paper copy will be given to you to sign when you collect the device. Within this agreement three other documents are referred to as listed below:
- The Computer Misuse Act 1990
- The Malicious Communications Act 1988
- The Leigh Academies Trusts IT Acceptable Use Policy
You may wish to read these documents before arriving on site to receive the Chromebook and sign the agreement.
- Parent/Carer must collect the device in person from The Leigh Academy. In order to maintain a ‘Covid secure’ environment we ask that only one adult per family attend to collect the device. Please wear a face covering/mask and maintain social distancing at all times whilst on site.
- Please book an appointment by using your My Child at School Account (MCAS) by following the details enclosed with this letter. Select your son/daughter’s Head of College for the appointment e.g. Ms Forde for Chaucer College, Mr Lindars for Darwin College, Mr Brewer for Da Vinci College and Mr Shepherd for Brunel College.
- Bookings will be made to the Head of Colleges only.
- 10 minute slots are available between 2.30pm – 6.30pm on Wednesday 30th
September and 3.30pm – 5.30pm on Thursday 1st October. Please only book one slot to ensure all parents and carers get the opportunity to collect a Chromebook.
- Parents/Carers will need to present photo ID when collecting the device and be ready to sign the agreement as mentioned above.
- Parents/Carers will enter the site through the PE gate and collect the Chromebook from the marquee on the field.
The Leigh Academy:
- Will provide the device to the parent/carer for the student’s use in accordance with the agreement.
- Will provide guidance in lessons to ensure that students are fully aware of how best to use the G-Suite to support them in their learning.
- Will support students in the future with any claims and communicate with parents/carers if the need arises.
If you have any questions then please email Mr David Mills, firstname.lastname@example.org who is leading on the Chromebooks scheme at The Leigh Academy.