As we approach the end of the academic year, I wanted to take the opportunity to update you on a few points:
1. End of Module 6 – the last day of the Module 6 for students is Wednesday 21st July at midday.
2. College Sports Days – Year 7 to 10 – these will now take place on the mornings of:
- Year 7 – Tuesday 13th July
- Year 8 – Wednesday 14th July
- Year 9 – Thursday 15th July
- Year 10 – Friday 16th July
All students in each Year group should wear a PE kit on their allocated day and will be able to join their peers on the field to support their College teams. Please do remember suntan lotion, sun hat or rain coat – depending on the weather!
3. Year 10 Careers Aspirations – events take place on Monday 12th to Wednesday 14th July within the usual times for the academy day. Please do speak to your child about their days and discuss what they have discovered about applying for jobs, CV writing, who they have met from industry (virtually) and their Dragon Den’s experience.
4. Year 12 Motivational Speaker Sessions – will take place on Tuesday 13th July (full detail in the Post-16 Google classroom). Please ask your child to discuss their thoughts following this experience.
5. Ice Cream – we have been able to hire an ice cream van for a few hours on Tuesday 13th and Wednesday 14th and every student in all year groups will be able to choose from an ice cream or an ice lolly, courtesy of The Leigh Academy. A little something for the students to congratulate them for successfully completing the academic year, despite the challenges faced.
6. COVID-19 secure measures – we will be continuing all of our current COVID-19 secure measures until the end of Module 6. Year group ‘bubbles’, face masks when moving around the building, hand sanitising, contact tracing for close contacts etc will all stay in place at The Leigh Academy until Wednesday 21st July.
7. Next academic year – you will have heard and read about the changing DfE and government guidance from August 2021. We are in the final planning stages for next academic year and I will write to you again before the end of this module with more detailed plans for our return in September, the structure of the day and our return to the College Model.
I also want to thank you all, parents and carers for your support this year. This has been a tough year for so many of us, but it is by working together in partnership that our Leigh community has become even stronger and we continue to support every child to receive the best education and opportunities possible here with us.