As we approach the end of what has been an eventful year, I want to write and thank you all for your ongoing support. You and your children have adapted to every change throughout this academic year with resilience and cheerful co-operation and I thank you. This positive determination to work together for the benefit of our community has ensured that we have been able to continue to maintain safety for all and enable our team of amazing staff to teach your children – whether remotely or in the academy ensuring that everyone has the best opportunities available to them.
There has been much published recently by the DfE about changes to the COVID-19 measures and restrictions in schools, as well as the letter from the LAT CEO on Friday. Having reviewed all the latest guidance, I can now share with you our plans at The Leigh Academy for next academic year 2021-22.
- Structure of the academy – Click here to view we are pleased to confirm that we will be returning to the College model structure from September. This is a feature of The Leigh Academy that ensures that all students are cared for within the College structure, with a Head of College, Assistant Head of College and Student Service Manager to oversee each child’s academic path and pastoral care.
- Timings of the day – Click here to view we will return to our previously published timings of the academy day. Tutor time will start for all students at 8:30am each day. We expect students to arrive at the academy by 8:20am to ensure that they are ready for the day ahead. The academy day will finish at 3:15pm each day, except for Wednesdays which will have a 2.00pm finish, to facilitate staff professional development and meeting times. Post-16 students will start at 8:30am the same as every other year group however, their finish times will depend on the individual timetable which will be issued on their first day.
- Lesson locations – There will not be a ‘bubble’ system next academic year, therefore students will move to their subject lessons as per their timetable. This means that students will be able to have access to all the specialist areas and resources at The Leigh Academy throughout the year. The rooms will be clearly identified on student timetables which you will also have access to via MCAS.
- LFT testing on site at The Leigh Academy in Module 1 – Due to the recent DfE and government guidelines we have been asked to carry out COVID-19 testing on site for all students when they return to The Leigh Academy after the summer break.
‘Testing remains important in reducing the risk of transmission of infection within schools. As pupils will potentially mix with lots of other people during the summer holidays, all secondary school pupils should receive 2 on-site lateral flow device tests, 3 to 5 days apart, on their return in the autumn term.’
Schools COVID-19 operational guidance – DfE
As such the start of the new academic year will look slightly different with a staggered start throughout the first week of Module 1. Further details to follow in a separate letter for each year group.
- COVID-19 secure measures from September – we will follow government and DfE guidelines as published at the time. I will write to you at the start of Module 1 to confirm any details as required.
I hope that you enjoy a pleasant summer break and look forward to welcoming students back in September.