Further to my letter to you last Thursday 16th September 2021, I am writing to inform you that since that date we have had another 41 confirmed PCR student cases and one member of staff with a positive PCR result.
Whilst this is concerning it does indicate that both parents/carers and students are following the guidance in my last letter by ensuring that students are carrying out regular LFT testing at home; as well as booking PCR tests if their child has been identified as a very close or prolonged contact of a positive case. Thank you for your support with this, which inevitably leads to identifying more cases.
A particular cluster of cases continues in Year 9 and additionally in Year 10, with a smaller number of cases across other year groups. We continue to monitor and track cases closely and have had further conversations with Public Health England and the Leigh Academies Trust.
As such, in addition to the measures already noted in the letter of the 16th September and listed again below, we will also be implementing the following from tomorrow Wednesday 22nd September, for a period of two weeks and will then review.
- PE – students that have PE on their timetable are asked to come to the academy in their PE kit, and will wear this all day. This will avoid students being in close contact changing.
- We will be implementing measures to reduce contact between years, these are likely to include all year group breaks and lunches as well as allocating year group toilets. Students will be provided with more information during Tutor time tomorrow.
- We are postponing the ‘in person’ Year 8 and Year 10 Parent/Carer Information Evenings due to take place on Thursday 23rd September. I know that staff, parents/carers will be disappointed by this, but it is a necessary action at this point in time. Details of an alternative event will be shared with parents/carers in these two year groups separately.
Previous measures as detailed on Thursday 16th September and which continue:
- Writing to inform parents/carers and ask for your help, please see information letter from Public Health England.
- Onsite Lateral Flow Testing of identified year groups.
- We will contact close, prolonged contacts of positive cases, inform parents/carers and ask for a PCR test to be arranged for their child.
- Face coverings/masks – all staff and students (unless exempt) will be required to wear face masks/covering at The Leigh Academy when moving around the building and when indoor communal areas, e.g. when lining up in the restaurant and in the library. Students/staff are not required to wear face masks/coverings in lessons, but may choose to do so.
- Enhanced cleaning.
- Reminder to students/staff of hand hygiene, to use hand sanitisers stations and/or wash hands regularly.
- Increased ventilation through open doors and windows open where possible.
- Assemblies will be virtual.
- Encourage all staff and students to continue with twice weekly Lateral Flow Testing at home.
The academy remains open and your child should continue to attend as normal if they remain well.
Any students self-isolating will be able to access their work via Google Classrooms and should complete work if they are well enough to do so.
At The Leigh Academy we will continue to monitor closely and keep you informed regularly. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s Head of College, via the College Admin Office.
Thank you for your ongoing support with these measures that we are taking to keep our community as safe as can.
Julia Collins | Principal