From the start of the new academic year in September 2022, some slight modifications to the Post-16 Dress Code come into force. These are focused on specifying what clothing should be worn in Performing Arts Acting and the insertion of the word ‘tailored’ to describe what counts as smart business wear. Please support the academy in these minor adaptations, which are designed to ensure the highest standards of dress amongst our Post-16 students.
Mr Lee Forcella-Burton
Director of Post-16, Leading Attenborough College
Attenborough College Post-16 Dress Code (2022-23)
As The Leigh Academy works in close partnership with the local community, business and industry and as Post-16 students are required to be role-models to younger students, Post-16 students must observe the dress code at all times on site, as part of PARADE Standards.
- Suit (tailored jacket with tailored trousers, tailored skirt or tailored dress)
- Tailored trousers
- Tailored skirt
- Tailored dress
- Collared formal shirt and tie (this is compulsory for students who identify as male)
- Tailored blouses and tops that cover the majority of the shoulder (this is compulsory for students who identify as female, unless they are wearing a tailored dress)
- Leather formal shoes
- V-necked jumper, so that the tie is clearly visible, with no zip or fastening system
- Natural coloured hair
- Denim garments
- Clothing with studded/riveted pockets
- Leather and leather-look garments
- Open-toed shoes (including sandals and flip-flops)
- Trainers (unless wearing them in a Performing Arts Acting or practical Sport lesson)
- Off the shoulder, halter neck and thin-strapped tops
- Skirt/dress hemlines that are higher than the halfway point between the hip bone and the knee
- Exposed midriffs
- Bodycon garments
- Over-the-knee socks
- Unnatural coloured hair
BTEC Sport Students
In practical lessons, hair should be tied back and no jewellery should be worn. Students must wear sportswear, which should comprise of:
- Tracksuit bottoms
- A plain T-shirt
- Either a plain sweatshirt or a plain tracksuit jacket
BTEC Performing Arts Acting Students
In all lessons, hair should be tied back and no jewellery should be worn. Students must wear the accepted industry-standard rehearsal ‘uniform’, which should comprise of:
- Loose black top
- Loose black trousers (so they can move easily)
- Soft black shoes (eg jazz shoes or trainers)
Please note: Students who must wear different clothing (such as sportswear or blacks) for a subject-specific reason are asked to bring a change of clothing in for that purpose. When outside that lesson, normal business dress must be worn, including at arrival to and departure from the academy.
If any member of staff feels that an element of a student’s appearance is inappropriate, we reserve the right to address the matter. For a first infringement, a warning will be issued, with a clear reminder of Dress Code. Upon a repeat infringement, we will send a student home to amend their appearance, preceded by a phone call home from a member of the Attenborough College Team.
All students must wear their Identity Card/Attenborough College lanyard. This card must be visible around the neck at all times. This is a legal requirement, not an academy rule.