We are thrilled with our post-16 results at The Leigh Academy this summer. After two pandemic-disrupted years during their GCSE studies, this cohort had never taken a public examination until they sat their A level, IB and BTEC exams this summer. They also faced the additional challenges of the return of a full exam series and grading at 2019’s pre-pandemic standards. They dug deep, proved their resilience and determination and accepted the exceptional support provided by their teachers.
This is reflected in the fact that our A level and BTEC results today place us significantly higher than pre-pandemic performance in 2019 , with notably strong performances in fine art, graphic communications and history. BTEC subjects proved consistently successful, with computing and sport achieving the highest average grades. Similarly, our IB results (in July) were amazing, with our students’ grades matching or exceeding the global average across our subject offer, with especially strong performances in English language and literature, geography, global politics and psychology.
We expect two thirds of our Year 13 cohort to take up places at university this autumn, with the rest either beginning apprenticeships or employment or taking a gap year to travel. Whatever they are going on to do, we wish them well and are confident that they are ready to thrive.
- Dominic: A level history (A), IB global politics (H7), IB social and cultural anthropology (H7),business studies (Distinction*), IB reflective project (A) [APS 54]
Destination: human, social and political science at either the University of Cambridge or the University of Bath.
- Nathaniel: A level history (B), IB global politics (H7), IB psychology (H7) [APS 53.33]
Destination: history at the University of Newcastle.
- Taylor: IB business (H6), IB global politics (H7), computing (Distinction*) [APS 52.67]
Destination: international relations at King’s College London.
- Samuel: A level maths (B), financial studies (A), ICT (Distinction*) [APS 46.0]
Destination: apprenticeship in IT and finance.
- Jack: A level graphic communication (A), IB biology (H5), sport (Distinction*) [APS 45.33]
Destination: gap year.
- Gerda: A level history (B), IB psychology (H6), IB social and cultural anthropology (H6) [APS 45.33]
Destination: psychology at University of Northumbria.
- Freya: A level maths (C), IB psychology (H6), sport (Distinction*)[APS 42.67]
Destination: economics TBC.
- Alise: financial studies (B), IB business (H5), IB psychology (H6) [APS 41.33]
Destination: finance and investment banking at the University of Greenwich.
- Deborah: IB global politics (H6), IB psychology (H5), social and cultural anthropology (H5) [APS 40.0]
Destination: management with marketing at Royal Holloway University of London.